Saturday, September 15, 2012

Reflection and Challenges

I'm trying to walk the walk.  
My classes are all on Edmodo.  I am using it as a b-learning spot - has quizzes, assignments, homework, extra resources, videos.  I did this last year, I think I'm getting better at keeping up with it, and I find it quite useful.
I have set up a twitter account for my classes.  Students are following me (I'm not following them back) and the grade 12s are getting messages and passing them on - like 'you will need text books in class tomorrow' or 'meet in the library.'  
I created a course google site.  Honestly I don't know why at this point, maybe I'll figure it out, or I'll delete it - whatever.  
I have a Blogger set up for each of my classes.  This is my biggest goal for the semester.  I believe that reflecting on what you're learning is the best way to make it stick and go deeper.  I believe that writing is an excellent way of forcing the reflection process.  I believe that sharing your thought process is key to learning; both by getting some push back or encouragement about your thoughts and learning, and by thinking about the learning of others and commenting on it.  Not only is this my biggest goal and wish for my students this semester, it has also become my biggest challenge.  Now I need to figure out how to approach the challenges.
The challenges: a) Blogger doesn't seem to want to invite my students to be co-authors on my class blog. b) I will have trouble getting library time for students to type blogs.  c) Student buy in.  And the longer it takes to get going, the more I fear I am losing them.
Obviously the first one is the big one.   
Possible Solutions: 1) Give up on blogging - too many challenges.  But if I really believe what I said above about all the benefits, can I really do that?   2) Have students write paragraphs on paper and submit. An option, but not authentic in the 21st Century, and doesn't really meet my reasons for doing blogs.  3) Use a different platform (not google).  I can use EduBlogs - it should work the way I want it with multiple authors.  But I want to support google apps for education (ugcloud) and the students would need yet another login/password that they would forget.   4) Have students each create own blog (not co-authored).  This isn't ideal, but it is an option and does have it's advantages as far as sense of ownership goes.  5) Use lap top cart.  If it's not enough have students take turns typing blogs while doing other in class work/activity.
I haven't quite figured out which solution I'm going with.  I am a little afraid if I leave it much longer before deciding, it will default to the first solution, which is the worst.  The technology right now is the sticking point, and it is not about the technology alone, it is about what I believe the technology can help my students gain.  So, I just need to figure out how what my plan B picture looks like.

Question: How long do you struggle with something that doesn't seem to be working for you and your students?  At what point do you start looking towards plan B?

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on Edmodo. I love it right now. I have updated my law class after every powerpoint, google doc, assignment I post the link or page. The students have responded really well. A couple today even told me that put it on their phones so they get notices.
    As to blogs, I gave up already. I couldn't get the class going and I can't get computer time to get everyone writing at the same time. I could assign it as homework, but I am afraid it will not get done. I have reverted to writing on paper and handing it in.
    Answer: Max two weeks, in reality more like three days.

    ReplyDelete