Tuesday, September 25, 2012

student blogging

Well, I've finally done it!  I have my grade 10s blogging.  Or rather maybe it would be more accurate to say I have successfully managed to get most of my grade 10s onto blogger and they've posted one blog.  I had to give up on the multiple author blog idea, but I've found a way to set up RSS feed for each class on Edmodo that I hope works.  Once again Edmodo comes through!

One of the first things I realized though, is that my plan of gently introducing new aspects of the blogging process to them throughout the semester is unnecessary.  Although I told them the expectations for the first blog post was a paragraph, plain and simple, two of the first three blogs that were posted had not only a paragraph but a picture and video as well.  It isn't that it is all that difficult to do, it is more the fact that they did it without being asked.  I know think that I will allow them to hopefully challenge each other about what to put in their blogs.

One of the things I loved most about this, is that I am only marking these blogs for completion.  I just want them to reflect and write.  I want that writing to be for an authentic audience and I want them to take pride in their work.  I really think that blogging for each other will make them push themselves and  it won't be about what the teacher expects, but what they can share and what they can show each other.

If you are interested in getting your students blogging using Blogger and ugcloud accounts there will be a blogging session offered after school sometime in October (I think).  Or just ask and I'd be happy to help you get started.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm flirting with the idea of having my Grade 9's blog about A Midsummer Night's Dream. (I need to make it relevant somehow. When I mentioned that we were reading it, there was a collective groan!) I am going to be taking you up on your offer of help.

    ReplyDelete